Harlem Meer - Central Park

 SEPTEMBER 15, 2022 - CENTRAL PARK, NEW YORK


This morning's walk is brought to you by the letters D, H, and M. First, D is for dang! because the place I to wanted walk is under construction and closed to the public. This brings me to the NYC FACT for the day: there is always something under construction. See the last 5 photos. They are building a new pool and ice skating rink.

This forced me to post about a part of New York City of which I have no knowledge. So I am learning right along with you today. The letters H and M stand for Harlem Meer (no, not the clothing store.) The Harlem Meer is a man-made lake on the north end of Central Park. The word meer is Dutch for lake. There is a lot of Dutch influence in New York. As a family, we've been on many walks and picnics here, but I've never known the history. It has been in several movies, the best-known being "Big Daddy" starring Adam Sandler. Before Central Park was made, this was a marshy swamp that separated the north and south parts of Manhattan. The city dredged over 100,000 cubic feet of earth and created the man-made lake.




















Comments

Popular Posts